Licensing and Ordination
The concept of setting aside men and women to ministry is rooted in the Scriptures and has been part of church and ministry practices throughout the ages. Ordination is a practiced pattern in the New Testament; candidates were recognized publicly as being set apart by God for vocational ministry (Acts 6:5,6; 13:2,3; 14:23; I Tim. 4:14).
Ordination has traditionally found favorable public recognition. Both the church and society, in varying degrees, recognize the place and validity of Ordination. In many cases, Ordination is the requirement of the State for the fulfillment of legitimate ministerial functions, including marriages and funerals.
The National Christian Counselors Association (NCCA) requires that applicants for membership (Phase II in the program) hold ministerial credentials – either commissioned, licensed or ordained.
Ordination is not the conferring of power or grace; rather, it is the explicit recognition that God by His Grace and Sovereignty has called a man or woman to Himself for particular ministry (Christian counseling and deliverance ministry, in our case) among His people. Ordination is the recognition of God’s giving a gifted person to the body of Christ for service (Ephesians 4:11-16).
At Above & Beyond Counseling Ministries, we have incorporated an intermediate step that we call “licensing.” Many other entities have a similar approach.
Licensing of ministers is widely practiced in the Body of Christ, although definitions and implications can vary.
We view this level to be the first path for most applicants because it allows us to gain experience and build a relationship with each candidate to mutually determine if ordination is the next logical step.
Licensing from Above & Beyond Counseling Ministries will meet the NCCA requirements for Professional Clinical Membership in their organization.
Requirements for Licensing:
- Registered as a student, and actively taking courses, in our NCCA Counseling/Degree or Licensing Program. Qualified programs include the PhD, Masters, Bachelors, or License-Only Program.
- IMPORTANT: You must be an active member in good standing at a local church. We will require a reference from a member of the pastoral staff via a confidential form we will send.
- Complete the online application for licensing, including the $79 application fee.
- Yearly renewal will require completion of a short online form detailing your activities over the past year, and submission of the renewal fee.
- We will not ordain or license individuals who are primarily focused in areas of ministry outside of Christian counseling and deliverance.
- Recommended but not required: Purchase of the Deliverance Training Boot Camp, including completing the online test to earn the “Certificate of Completion.” We believe that deliverance ministry is an important element of being a successful Christian counselor and strongly encourage our students to include this training in their studies.
- After a reasonable time period (typically one or two years), licensees may be considered for ordination into the ministry.
- As for licensees, yearly renewal will require completion of a short online form detailing your activities over the past year, and submission of the renewal fee.
IMPORTANT: Do not click on the button below until you have discussed your situation with Dr. Ibbitson. Send email.